Friday, February 26, 2010

Fall 2009 Seed Collection

Seed (winged samara) was collected from a variety of trees this year. Our neighborhood has a large amount of Japanese Maples planted, but only a few trees are accessible from the sidewalk. There is also 1 tree near my job that is accessible. Of these available trees I was able to collect 2 cups full from the tree directly across the street. Another 2 cups full from a tree directly across from my job. I was able to collect a small amount from 2 other locations. About 1 cup full from the tree directly next door and about a half cup full from a green maple at the end of a cul-de-sac some streets over.

The green maple seeds I was able to keep separate from the other seeds due to their easy to spot size. However my oldest daughter in an effort to be efficient and helpful mixed the rest of the seeds together while they were intially being dried out after being collected in the rain.

All seeds were collected within the first 2 weeks of November while they were beginning to detatch themselves from the trees. During 2 separate days of rain I collected from the trees at work and the trees across the street.

I then took the seeds and laid them out in an open box top to let them dry out. The seeds "dried" for about a week and then were sown in 2 lifted seed beds after being soaked in water for a few hours. This method was my own method and decided upon based on some cursory internet reading. I am not confident that this was a good option. Next year will not re-soak the seeds and will probably try my best to sow them the same day they are collected.

No comments:

Post a Comment