Friday, February 26, 2010

Diatomaceous earth for Bonsai Soil

Following some off beat advice from a post I read regarding using Diatomaceous earth as a Bonsai soil I went out and purchased some.


I purchased the Oil Dry "Granular" product from a Napa Auto Parts store in Annapolis MD. It was pretty cheap...9 bucks for a 40lb bag.

I performed a simple break down test for the product and it lasted for 3 days in complete submersion of water without a significant slaking of the material. After that there seemed to be some slight (very slight) breakdown in the larger clay particles.

With this more or less successful test I repotted a Chinese Elm tree that I started from seed 2 years ago into a Bonsai Pot containing only the Oil Dry product which had been sifted through a window screen to remove the finer particles that would hinder water passthru.
To date the Chinese Elm has responded well over the past month and has started to bud out for the spring growth period.

No comments:

Post a Comment