Friday, February 26, 2010

Cold Frame Use Winter 2010

I have constructed 2 simple cold frames for this winter season in hopes of keeping out squirrels and the like and to prevent wind damage to the seed bed. We have had record snowfall this year and so on 2 occasions I have let the snow simply fall on the seedbed while the top layer of plastic was peeled back and folded behind the back of the frames. This allowed the snow to insulate and protect the bed.

Today 2/27/2010, I reattached the plastic to the top of the two frames in the hope of a quick melt of the remaining snow inside and to further enhance germination prospects. If you look close you can still see the snow inside.

We will see how well this works because I have noticed that the seedbed is quite moist and I am worried for the condition of the seeds. I will probably leave the lids cracked to help the seedbed dry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment