Friday, February 26, 2010

Chinese Elm Seed

In addition to the Acer Palmatum seed that I have gathered this past year and sown, I have also sown a small amount of Ulmus Parvifolia or Chinese Elm.

These trees will serve as a year round indoor Bonsai plant. I have had some success in germinating these seeds through non-natural cold stratification using the refrigerator.

This year I wanted to experiment with natural stratification to see if my germination rate would increase. Last time the seeds that I purchased only germinated @ 5 in 35 out of the fridge. This time I bought 3 packs of 35 for $ 3.29 /packet and sowed them along with my Acer seeds in late November in a small end portion of the upper seedbed.

I purchased the seeds from the Whatcom Seed Company. www.seedrack.com

No comments:

Post a Comment